Humiliation Hill

I've been humiliated by a hill.

I'm not a great climber. At the Niagara Duathlon, which I did a couple of years ago, there was one big steep hill that the organizers called "The Beast of the East".
Not exactly like this.

In preparation for the race I checked out maps & elevations, and though it was bigger than anything convenient to where I ride, I figured I could prep for it by doing repeats of my local hills.

Not actually riding the real thing, however, was a big mistake. I didn't really know what I was in for, and if I had, I would have done a lot more hill work than I did. Which was not much. And is it turned out, it was absolutely not enough.

It was a long hill, about 2 km – that got steeper in the last 400m or so. About halfway up, it started to get hard. Really hard. Before long, I started having Doubts.

When that steeper section hit I had to stand and grind, mostly trying to use my body weight to keep the pedals moving. Looking up that hill I started to think: I'm not going to make it. I could see other people walking their bikes up it. I can't be one of those losers! I am gonna be one of those losers!

Snap – it was over.
Or this.

In shame and despair I swung one of my dead, lactic-soaked legs over the bar and walked – walked! – the bike up the last 200m or so. The tik-tik-tik of my slippy cleats on the road was the sound of Pure Humiliation.

And here's the really lame thing: according to Map My Ride, that hill is just a Cat 5. Wow, dude. Weak.


Now I'm motivated by Humiliation Hill every time I come up to a climb, like every time I go up a hill I'm looking for some kind of personal revenge on hills generally.

I think that there is a really big mental component to climbing. You have to beat the hill at the bottom of it. Doubt, concern, trepidation, fear: any of that as you approach a big climb and you've lost before you've started.

Anyway, it was clear that if I was going to do Real Bike Racing I was gonna have to start taking hills seriously. So now I try to get in at least one or two hard hill-repeat rides every week. I'm not sure how much stronger my legs are, but my mind is definitely having an easier time getting to the top of those climbs.

Comments

GC Leader: Favourite Post